J. D. Burns
Born in 1967 in Jacksonville, Florida, Mr. Burns moved to Marietta, Georgia, at the age of 5. After graduating from Sprayberry High School in 1986, Mr. Burns attended Kennesaw State University, where he obtained a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration.
In 1993, Mr. Burns graduated from the University of Georgia School of Law, Doctor of Jurisprudence. Subsequent to his graduation from law school, Mr. Burns opened his own practice and has since been practicing law in Northern Georgia and the greater metro Atlanta area, relocating to Cherokee County 15 years ago.
Currently, Mr. Burns maintains a trial practice concentrating in criminal and family law, and has earned the reputation as a top trial lawyer in North Georgia.
Mr. Burns lives in Cherokee County with his wife and two children.
- Successfully obtained not guilty verdicts in three murder trials in both Cherokee and Cobb counties
- Successfully defended Cherokee County homeowner against HOA concerning the 2006 Freedom to Display the American Flag Act
Areas of Practice
- Family Law & Divorce
- Alimony & Post Separation Support
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Business Law
- Civil Litigation
- Contract Disputes
- Criminal Law & Traffic Offenses
- Drunk Driving / DUI
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- Doctor of Jurisprudence – 1993
- Kennesaw State University
- Major: Business Administration
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Vice President
- Georgia State Bar Association
- Indigent Defense Council for Cherokee County, Founding Member
We're here to help.
Put simply, as experienced attorneys, we can take cases where they need to go. We do what is best for our clients. Always.
Contact us to get started.