Burns Law Group, PC
View Our Practice Areas

Can going to rehab affect the custody of my kids?

There is no doubt that America has lost its War on Drugs, and perhaps the biggest casualty of all is the children who are destined to grow up without one or both parents involved in their lives.

However, there is good news on the horizon as well. The fact is that parents who have lost custody of their kids due to substance abuse can complete a rehabilitation program and petition the court to once again be a part of their kids' lives.

The Department of Child and Family Services' (DCFS) guiding principle is to make all attempts to keep families together. Sometimes, of course, this isn't possible, as when an addict continues to use or engage in other criminal activities. Nonetheless, this does remain DCFS's overall philosophy.

The same also applies to the Georgia courts. However, the overriding importance is what is in the best interests of the child(ren). While the court typically considers it to be in children's best interests to be reared by their natural parents, when those parents are found to be unfit, they remove the kids from the home.

Parental substance abuse may constitute grounds of being unfit to the court. Much depends on the judge's views, as well as those of the Children's Protective Services (CPS) worker. Parents who have put in the time and effort to complete rehab -- whether court-ordered or voluntary -- and who remain in recovery likely will be given the opportunity to reunite with their children

If you fear that going to rehab will adversely affect your custody of your child(ren), a Canton family law attorney is one source of information for you to consider.

Source: Residential Drug Rehab Help, "Can I Regain Child Custody after Rehab?," accessed Dec. 29, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

181 E. Main Street
Canton, GA 30114

Phone: 770-628-1131
Fax: 770-956-1404
Map & Directions

Burns Law Group