Has your child custody or child support order become outdated? Or, is your ex saying these orders need to be updated but you disagree?

Finalized divorce settlements and court orders are not always the final say in child custody and support matters. In certain cases, it becomes necessary to update or modify an existing order when the circumstances of the parents or child change.

At Burns Law Group, PC, we guide our clients through the modifications process. To learn how our lawyers can help you obtain — or fight against — a modification, contact us for a consultation to discuss your options. Call 770-956-1400.

Since 1993, we have represented clients throughout Cherokee County and the surrounding areas.

What Circumstances Warrant A Modification?

Georgia only allows changes to divorce decrees and family law orders when there is a compelling reason. To support a request for a child support modification, you will have to prove that one of the parent’s financial circumstances, or the child’s needs, changed significantly. Requests for child support modifications may be based on:

  • Job loss or decreased income of the paying parent
  • Substantial increase in income for the recipient
  • Increased health care costs of the child

Child custody and visitation modifications may be necessary when:

  • One parent plans to relocate
  • A child over the age of 14 wants to change his or her primary residence
  • A parent is exposing a child to situations or environments that are not in the child’s best interests; this may include safety issues or drug or alcohol abuse

Is your ex-spouse failing to follow a court order? We can help you enforce the order through a contempt action.

Talk To An Attorney About Modifications In Canton

When you need to change or update a court order, contact us to discuss opportunities for modification. We offer no-obligation initial consultations. Call 770-956-1400 or complete the form below to get started.

We're here to help.

Put simply, as experienced attorneys, we can take cases where they need to go. We do what is best for our clients. Always.

Contact us to get started.